Friday, January 13, 2012

Making the corset pattern

Well I went through my books and links, didn't find a corset pattern I thought would work for modifying into nursing.

So I went to DeGracieuse and looked through 1908-1912 for corset patterns.
Settled on a pattern from July 1910 "Corset for a slim Woman (easy to wash)

(If those links fail, try this one for the illustration, and this one for the pattern sheet)

I saved the image and pulled it into Rhino CAD, I have an approximation of the sheet size deciphered from an older page that had a scale on it. I traced around the pattern pieces.

Then moved the pieces (thus removing the confusing background)and aligned them with the grain markings (little arrows)

Then I cut them apart to make a nursing opening. Added 1/2" seam allowance, and printed that sucker out!

At this point I have printed the pattern out and cut out my mock up from an old pair of my husband's pants!
I expect I will have lots of alterations to make, but I want to check out where it hits me as waist line and such.
Supposedly it has a 24" waist, I am normally about a 27" waist, so that is a reasonable size, but then I expect the bust and hips to be larger than my measurements. I also need to check the flap position.

The CADing of the pattern was done in one day, I have gotten fairly quick at it!

UPDATE, I have put up a more usable image of the pattern

4 comments:

  1. Wow, how did you highlight the lines from the complex multi-pattern page? I am looking at "Pattern Maker" for the 1912 Titanic Sewing Project and wonder how you chose what you use, what you like about it, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said in the post I pulled the saved image into my CAD program and traced over the lines. I can change the color and style of the lines I draw in CAD. Rhinoceros is more than a pattern making software like Paternmaker, which I haven't delt with much. I use Rhino because my husband uses it so I didn't have to buy another program, just use his. It doesn't have any fancy fashion software, so I have to grade and add seam allowances by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you give away the size/proportion to which you scaled the thingie, to allow someone else. who has not got an idea of the original measuremtns to do the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still working on perfecting my method of scaling them up, which has so far included purchasing original and reprints of the period magazines. As of yet I do not have a method that works 100% every time. Then the is the fact that the pages are not all the same size and scanning causes some distortion....

      Delete