Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What can you learn from the Selvage?

I use a lot of quilting cottons. It is cute and all over the place in fabric stores.
All my dragons use quilting cottons, most of my dolls as well.
My two Victorian dresses are cotton prints.

How often do you look at the selvage of those cotton prints?

Did you know you can learn things from the selvage?
Here are some of my most recent purchases.

Top to bottom: Top is what I am using for my Steampunk costume.
Next is slated to be bags
Then we have a Disney print I will use for something for my children.
The Paper doll fabric is also slated for child use.
Last is another print for my children.

Now let's take a closer look at what is printed on the selvage.
1. David Textiles inc. C. Victoria and Albert Museum, London. Sold for Noncommercial Home Use Only. Other Uses Prohibited. Do Not Use For Children's Sleepwear. then 4 color dots.
2. Hancock Fabrics and color dots
3. Buzz And Woody Stars. Disney .....Sold for Noncommercial Home Use Only. Other Uses Prohibited. Do Not Use For Children's Sleepwear. Color dots
4. Windham W Fabrics Presents Doll Christmas Pattern No. 30859 C.
5. "Back to School" Designs by Logantex C.




So out of these fabrics there are two designs that one is not supposed to make items to sell from. Which can be a bit of a bummer to the crafter, but better to be on the safe side.
The Hancock print is the only one that doesn't have a copyright symbol on it at all! that one is free to use for profitable sewing.
The last two do have the copyright symbol on them but do not cary any wording about commercial usage.
If a crafter makes something to sell at a craft bazar, art show, or etsy like sites, that is commercial usage.

What else does the selvage tell us?
Design name and number.
the last 3 fabric have a design name or number. Back to School, only has a name. and could be the name for an entire collection!
Having the name and number on the selvage is usefull for the customer should they need to obtain more of the fabric. for example, the Doll print came in multiple colorways, in this case different background colors. The print name could (and likely is) the same for all of them, but the number is unique to each of the prints.

The top fabric does not have a name or a number. All it lists is the V&A. which I was very happy to find. I picked the fabric out without looking at the selvage,when I saw that I wondered if it was a reproduction print.
After LOTS of searching on the interenet I came to find this is a William Moris print! Great for a Steampunk outfit. It is nice to learn that my eye for Victorianish fabric is getting better.

Last is those color dots. These are VERY helpfull for when you want to match colors in given prints. The green in the V&A print was VERY hard to match up, so I pulled out the green instead.
From Quilt Bug.com
"Look at the selvage of fabric you have just purchased. See those color dots? They aren’t there to help you choose co-ordinating fabrics, although many people use them that way. They are there for the manufacturer to make sure the color was correct and that it printed in the correct place.

No comments:

Post a Comment